[fpc-devel] Alternative parsers

Juha Manninen (gmail) juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 11:43:22 CEST 2010

On Wednesday 20 October 2010 11:53:02 Marco van de Voort wrote:
> Again: Combining two languages into one compiler doesn't magically make
> them interoperable. And the only existing example doesn't exactly have a
> crack record on using C++ FROM Delphi (the otherway around is different,
> I'm told, not elegant, but doable).
>
> Basically it would mean implementing the innerards of C++ into the whole
> existing (pascal) compiler too, so that the pascal compiler can access C++
> objects, not just a two bit extra parser. (which is also not so simple as
> it sounds, since probably backends mod to execute C++ in a compliant way
> are also possible).

No, it would be the other way around. The  "kind of C++" or "pseudo C++" or
whatever would map to the existing compiler's data and object structure.
I think Michael Schnell's idea is about the same as mine (see the other mail).

However, C++ is a poor example because its syntax is a deep swamp.
Ok, I don't start with multiply inheritance or templates...
The frontend would need to ban lots of syntax, practically creating a new C++
related language ... No thanks for me ...
I see C++ as an example of how NOT to do things.

Other language frontends would be realistic IMO.

Juha