[fpc-devel] Alternative parsers

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Oct 19 18:22:52 CEST 2010

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010, Alexander Klenin wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 01:45, Michael Van Canneyt
> <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:
>> What can be optimized, must be optimized.
> Sorry, but does not this sound slightly exaggerated? :-)
>
>>> 2) I may believe that records are faster then classes,
>>> but if they are faster then objects, then this is a compiler problem,
>>> since there should be literally no difference except the VMT pointer
>>> memory overhead. Actual usage of virtual calls may cause a slowdown,
>>> but it also may cause a speedup if it replaces a 'case' statement,
>>> which is usually so.
>>
>> The VMT is not the point.
>> Objects are zeroed out.
>
> You are wrong. The code below outputs random garbage, not zeroes.

Sorry, I was talking about classes. I don't use objects from TP;
I consider them deprecated.

Besides my personal opinion, the compiler already uses classes
for some other things, and it's not very desirable to mix the
two concepts.

>> It sounds like you give us little credit.
> Sorry for that and thanks you for your work.
> But, by the same token, don't you think that you also give a little credit to
> Hans' work? Maybe his reasons are also good?

As I explained in another mail, I think he tries too much too soon.

First do some small and desired things, to build up credibility.
Check the bugtracker for things to do. You'll be invited on the
core team by itself if you do a good job. Then take on the big tasks.

This is how everyone else made it on the FPC team.

Not by wanting do reorganize everything all at once.
That is just not realistic, simply from a human point of view.

If I would attempt to do what he did, I would also get into
serious trouble, even though I'm one of the oldest members
on the team.

Michael.