[fpc-devel] Alternative parsers

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Mon Oct 18 14:01:09 CEST 2010

Florian Klaempfl schrieb:
>> One goal of this refactoring is the determination and documentation of
>> the actions, required in certain pieces of the grammar.
>
> Why should we need these actions?

Yes, that's one of the big questions. What is that funny call to XYZ
good for, in this particular place? What has to be changed, when a new
attribute is introduced? etc...

> I still don't see a need to get the parser more robust, if it's possible
> at all. The front end including the parser is one of the simplest,
> robust and stable parts of the compiler.

You seem to have missed that the parser itself is unchanged - only the
connection to the related data structures (symbol tables...) is sorted out.

> With all the drawbacks like:
> - people knowing the old code for 15 years having to dig into new code

never change a running program? ;-)

> - slower

how much?

> - code spread over multiple locations

yes, the existing code could be concentrated into less units.

> - lost svn blame history

not necessarily.

> - last but not least, you coding style does not follow the compiler code
> style

that is?

DoDi