[fpc-devel] Component FTag and Tag should be int64

Max Vlasov max.vlasov at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 08:27:20 CET 2010

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 5:13 PM, <michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be> wrote:

> We'll fix the issue as the upcoming Delphi 64-bit - unfortunately - forces
> us to follow suit.

Will it also create an additional confusion in design time? I mean, non-RAD
compilers possibly only have compile-time context, while Lazarus has also
design-time. One example, if the Tag is 64-bit and one set up the
environment to cross-compile from 32-bit IDE to 64-bit, he or she even won't
be able to change a 64-bit integer property in the designer.

And also speaking of following/not following Delphi, I think Lazarus has two
things to have courage not to follow the trend:
- dfm and lfm is not easily interchangeable, so if Lazarus is not going with
Delphi with the tag size, there's always could be a warning (highlighting)
pointing out to an exceeded Tag value.
- the compiler for a long time had pointer conversion not portable
hint/warning so no matter how big Tag is, writing
SomeMyAddr:=pointer(Obj.Tag) already warns the developer.

Hmm, also a little off-topic analogy, AMD was the second until they were
first with 64-bit processors. Intel just had to follow. Project this to
Pascal ;-)

Max Vlasov