[fpc-devel] Re: enumerators

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed Nov 17 13:44:49 CET 2010

On 11/17/2010 01:20 PM, Jonas Maebe wrote:

> Surrogate pairs have nothing to do with Mac OS X. Surrogate pairs are
> required when encoding any codepoint in UTF-16 whose UTF32 value is >=
> $10000.
In fact I was not aware of the UTF-16 coding scheme. I _supposed_ it
would work similar as UTF-8 (highest bit set => 32 bit value composed
from the 31 remaining bits of this and the next word and bit 31 reset)
and thus could be decoded algorithmically. Seemingly I was wrong and a
huge table is needed to decode UTF16.

But in fact we have just been discussing UTF-8. If  here, surrogates
are  unnecessary, and thus using them seems "funny" to me.

-Michael