[fpc-devel] Re: enumerators

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Wed Nov 17 13:32:37 CET 2010

In our previous episode, Michael Schnell said:
> > It is not viable not to. Either you implement unicode or not.
> >
> > It's an users own choice to not be unicode compliant in his apps (e.g. if he
> > knows he never goes to the Eastern Asiatic market etc), but a runtime should
> > be as unicode compliant as reasonably possible.
> Regarding that handling surrogate pairs needs tables while UTF/UCS
> handling can be done by simple algorithms

Surrogate pairs enumeration can be done with simple algorithms. Maybe you
are confusing surrogate pairs with decomposition?

> (AFAIK) surrogate
> pairs are used only in certain environments (Mac and what else ?) I think
> that viability is not an easy decision.

Anything that is not strictly UCS2 (afaik Win2000 and older, XP is already
UTF16 afaik) has surrogate pairs.

Regarding OS X, iirc I saw a mention somewhere that some components of Mac
OS X prefer decomposed characters. (aka UTF-8Mac). I assume routine all
unicode routines through the Mac libc on OS X makes sure this will work fine
mostly.