[fpc-devel] Boehm garbage collector for freepascal

Thaddy thaddy at thaddy.com
Mon Nov 15 14:04:41 CET 2010

As I promised Marco,

You can find boehm garbage collector bindings for freepascal, incl.
replacement memory manager at
http://freepascal.thaddy.co.uk/fpc_boehm_gc.zip
For win32 a prebuild dll is included
For other platforms you need to build the gc library from source (included)
Please test, I am especially curious how it behaves on other platforms.
freepascal.thaddy.co.uk/fpc_boehm_gc.zip

I Also have a question:
(After you played with the example and read the docs)
Suppose I want a GC version of freepascal, would it be enough to patch
TObject.InitInstance/TObject.FreeInstance for finalization and adapt
heap.inc and do a make clean/make all?
Tobject descendants may require finalization before the garbage
collector cleans them, hence my question.

Or do I need more steps?

Regards,

Thaddy