[fpc-devel] Free Pascal introduction to the world

Andrew Brunner andrew.t.brunner at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 16:31:56 CET 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys
<graemeg.lists at gmail.com>wrote:

> Maybe this little fact should be made public, and very clear on the front
> page of the FPC website. This will ensure no commercial entity will ever
> fall foolishly into the FPC trap. This will obviously benefit the FPC team
> too, because you will have less annoying users that actually try and use
> the product to make a living.

Graeme, I think things like this are better understood as resource
problems.  IMO, OSS is a systemic response to the intellectual property
plundering/pillaging by big business like Microsoft.  It enables developers
to dedicate *as much time* as they like to build something beyond them while
getting credit for it.  Otherwise their God given talents are buried in a
heap of corporate noise with little of of recognition or compensation.

The FPC and Lazarus projects are no different.  They are propelled by
dedicated developers who love to code and who at certain times weigh what is
important and what is not.  While they do have weight in decisions, money
talks.  If you have a feature you want, just post a bounty for it.  I was
VERY successful at getting what I need from the community especially if I
were to offer to throw some $$$ for resolution.

Please, don't disrupt or offend the people dedicated to development.  You've
been pretty quick to point out flaws.  But I think if it's FPC/Lazarus that
you're trying to see in a better light, you would be better using the
positive direction.

Every time you see something wrong, your first reaction has been to put the
*team* on line line of fire... LOL.  Just be nice.  These guys have families
to feed too.