[fpc-devel] Interface scope incompatibility with Delphi

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 15:37:58 CET 2010

Op 2010-11-10 14:32, Marco van de Voort het geskryf:
> traceback routines based on TD32 debug info Does this mean we have to
> emulate Borland internal debug info to the byte?

That's not what I asked.

> Trying to guarantee these kind of
> implemenation details could bring you into problems on other architectures,
> where calling conventions and prologue/epilogue tradeoffs are different.

Thank you, that's the type of information I wanted to know, and that would
be acceptable for me to understand why FPC team wouldn't want to implement
such delphi-compatibility. [ignoring all the f**k y** style comments from
previous replies].

Remember, I'm a framework and application developer, not a compiler
developer. So answering questions accordingly is much appreciated.

> It would be wise to try so see further than your immediate pain, and make
> that the center of the universe.

Well, trying to look at duby for a solution and possibly contributing to
that project - seems somewhat outside current skill level at the moment. So
I opted to take a different approach to the problem - use something that
works (eg: tiOPF's reliable thread & cached based logging), and produce a
mini-debugging framework (not tied to tiOPF) for other FPC users to use.
Trying to make a opensource version of CodeSite or CodeSiteEx if you will,
and as a plus, overcoming all the other GDB, duby issues. But as usual,
everything I try to do or even just ask about, just doesn't sit right with
some members of the FPC team.

I really do appreciate your constructive answer (as quoted above) though.
This gives me a better indication of why the FPC team is reluctant to add
such support.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net:8080/fpgui/