[fpc-devel] Interface scope incompatibility with Delphi

Florian Klaempfl florian at freepascal.org
Wed Nov 10 13:04:53 CET 2010

Am 10.11.2010 12:09, schrieb Martin Schreiber:

>>> Well, I can always argue that FPC tries to clone/mimic Delphi behaviour
>>> in many ways... it's that little FPC design goal called "delphi
>>> compatibility". Think of all the poor developers trying to port their
>>> Delphi code to FPC.  ;-)
>>
>> Yes, valid and documented code is supported.
>> This is invalid code which just so happens to work.
>>
> FPC could implement, document and guarantee the very useful and sometimes
> necessary behaviour

The behaviour how compiler internal temp. variables are used?

> maybe?

So other people might complain that the compiler keeps an instance
unfreed for no use? Ignoring other people's need is simple.

> I sometimes miss the support from FPC team for framework and user
> requirements. The framework devels can't develop the compiler them self. > But don't you think, a compiler, where the main purpose is to compile
it self, is
> a little bit sparse?
> Don't you think the FPC team should ecourage IDE and framework devels to use
> their compiler and the FPC team should support them as much as they can,

Maybe we cannot do more?

> We had that theme already with FCL and RTL, do you remember? Now I don't use
> FCL and RTL anymore if there are other possibilities because doing it on my
> own is less work,

How much targets do you support with your code? 2? 3?

> less time consuming, normally with better results and more
> fun and less frustration.

Yes, that's why I concentrate on compiler development as well. The "do
this" or "do that", "if you don't do, I leave FPC and use XXX"
discussions are simply too boring.