[fpc-devel] Interface scope incompatibility with Delphi

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 11:26:02 CET 2010

Op 2010-11-10 11:56, Michael Van Canneyt het geskryf:

> Well, the original coders made assumptions which they're not supposed to make.

To be fair, it has worked for over a decade already. Plus many IDE and
Compiler add-on vendors implement their products based on Delphi behaviour
(even though it might not all be documented). The same gets done for
Windows apps in general - working on Windows behaviour. Lets not speculate
if it will be broken or not in the next Delphi release (nobody knows the
answer to that, and there is no reason why it will be broken then). All I
am saying is that in the current "released" Delphi versions (at least down
to D7, probably D6 too) this feature works. The "mouse cursor" trick using
the same Interface behaviour has been in tiOPF code for years, and I think
that's where I saw it first.

And the fact that so many developers asked about Interface scope problems
in the past [as you mentioned], clearly indicates that that should be the
expected behaviour in FPC too.

> Nowhere is the Delphi behaviour guaranteed, not even by Delphi.

Well, I can always argue that FPC tries to clone/mimic Delphi behaviour in
many ways... it's that little FPC design goal called "delphi
compatibility". Think of all the poor developers trying to port their
Delphi code to FPC.  ;-)

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net:8080/fpgui/