Fwd: [fpc-devel] bug in fpdoc HTML output - double spacing

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Nov 8 10:29:06 CET 2010

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Op 2010-11-08 11:03, Michael Van Canneyt het geskryf:
>>> It is easy to "force" a fix via a CSS file, but clearly there is a HTML
>>> generation problem/difference since June 2009. Even the plain HTML output
>>> (without a css file) is different between now and a year ago.
>>
>> How so ?
>
> With CSS you can manipulate any HTML output to suite your design.

Of course, that's what CSS is for, to specify how the browser must render
the HTML.

>> Like I said, the HTML generation algorithm has not changed.
>> The css has, and this causes your problem. If you use the
>> official fpdoc.css from FPC, the problem will go away.
>
> The first thing I tried (and just did so again), and NO it doesn't fix the
> problem here.

Did you refresh your browser's cache ?
(question number 1 of the helpdesk when experiencing HTML problems)

> Of course the HTML output generation has changed. New support for
> Interfaces, improved parent class listing, improved class hierarchy output,
> and that is just the ones I can remember without looking at the repository
> history.

That is just more HTML being generated, not the way HTML is generated, and
thus beside the point.

Graeme,

Did you actually look at the diff I sent for the 2 pages which are displayed
differently ?

1. You sent me the links for 2 pages that look different.
2. I confirm they are looking different in the browser.
3. Then I downloaded both pages with wget.
4. I made a diff.
5. I pasted the diff in my mail.

As you can see from the diff, the generated HTML is 100% the same for the part
that looks different. The ONLY difference is in the CSS and the HTML doctype
tag.

If you claim that different HTML is being generated *for the same information*,
then please demonstrate it with a proper diff that proves your point.

Michael.