[fpc-devel] Problem reading pgm image

Leonardo M. Ramé martinrame at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 5 16:49:41 CET 2010

Hi, I'm loading PGM files to a TImage.Picture using its LoadFromFile or LoadFromStream methods.

This works well on small to medium sized images, but I'm getting an
"EReadErrorEReadError" exception if I try to load images of 16mb or more.

After debugging this, I stopped at fpreadpnm.pp, in this method:

procedure TFPReaderPNM.InternalRead(Stream:TStream;Img:TFPCustomImage);
var
  Row:Integer;
  l: Integer;
begin
  ReadHeader(Stream);
  Img.SetSize(FWidth,FHeight);
  FScanLineSize:=FBitPP*((FWidth+7)shr 3);
  GetMem(FScanLine,FScanLineSize);
  try
    for Row:=0 to img.Height-1 do
      begin
      ReadScanLine(Row,Stream);
      WriteScanLine(Row,Img);
      end;
  finally
    Row := l;
    FreeMem(FScanLine);
  end;
end;

The ReadScanLine method uses the FScanLineSize to read from a Stream
using Stream.ReadBuffer with a size of FScanLineSize, and it seems like
in my image, in a specific row (4734 to be clear) it has a different line size than the
expected by FScanLineSize.

Maybe the formula used to calculate the scan line size is wrong?.

I can open my image with many viewers like Eye of Gnome, or Gimp without
problems.

Here's the image:
http://www.tarjeta-salud.com.ar/downloads/salida.pgm

Hope someone can help me fix this.