[fpc-devel] Interface delegation fix: backport to FPC 2.4.2 ...?

Matt Emson memson.lists at googlemail.com
Thu May 20 09:22:08 CEST 2010

Sent from my iPhone

On 20 May 2010, at 07:52, Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Matt Emson het geskryf:
>> Patterns are faddy - you are not going to please everyone.
>
> Please explain and give examples where Observer will not be useful.
> Also, I
> do not know what "faddy" means.

Having used it a lot recently, I'd prefer MVC to be used with in a
class library.

A Subscription mechanism is more powerful. Look at the MUSCLE C++
framework.

Iterator I use every day!!

>> I'd rather see a mechanism for injecting first class extensions to
>> existing classes.
>
> * Interfaces don't work because you need to subclass them to get the
> extra functionality. This is totally useless for things like
> TCombobox.Items or
> TMemo.Lines (like Michael explained) because such components uses
> TStrings directly.

As Marco said - the underlying framework is fundamentally flawed. You
want to patch it. You need to redesign it. You are incredibly short
sighted here. Think outside of the box.

> * Class Helpers like in Delphi.

No. Delphi is not the model for all change. Blinkers off. Look at
Objective-C categories or the Mix-In concept.

Talk is cheap. I'm not using pascal enough to justify coding. But if I
was doing this, I'd start again, as Marco suggests.