[fpc-devel] Interface delegation fix: backport to FPC 2.4.2 ...?

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Thu May 20 01:11:55 CEST 2010

> > I've an own copy of GoF btw.
>
> Owning a copy doesn't meant you read it or understood it. ;-)

Yeah. Studying means neither.

> > However knowing and even appreciating a certain
> >  pattern doesn't automatically mean it should be implemented at all costs.
>
> I believe Michael and I have listed enough examples of how it can be
> useful.

And I don't think useful is under discussion. The question if it warrants
such deep changes.

And while Michael advocates he has thought long about it, so have I. We even
discussed about TStringlist and the sad way it plugs into the VCL/LCL in the
car for at leat more than an hour when we drove to Muenchen the last time.

I've been thinking about it because I really would like have Java style
interface hierarchy in the container types.  (Corba that is, GC/refcount not
necessary), and to a lesser degree iterators. (when I was working with
DECAL)

I concluded that nothing sane can be done in the current VCL/LCL, and
workarounds to fix that are worse than the problem that they fix.

> and you couldn't show an alternative solution as Michael asked
> for.

Since my point is that it doesn't make sense in the first place, it is not
that strange that I can't come up with a sane way to implement it.