[fpc-devel] Interface delegation fix: backport to FPC 2.4.2 ...?

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Wed May 19 12:42:36 CEST 2010

> Is the following bugfix (original target was 2.4.0) going to make it into
> FPC 2.4.2?
>
> I'm about to implement something in fpGUI and would really like to use the
> Observer pattern and interface delegation to attach the Observer function
> to existing classes. Without this fix, it's not possible.
>
>   http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=12778

Did you verify that it works when you insert this fix into 2.4.1? Does it
work with 2.5.1 currently?

> @Michael van Canneyt
>   Have we come to a decision about Observer support in FPC base classes?
> This would obviously help what I am doing now as well - but I guess
> something like that will not make it into FPC 2.4.2 even if the answer is
> yes for Observer in base classes?

I don't think making the current classes a patch work of styles is a good
way to go. Today it is observers, tomorrow it is iterators etc.

Better follow the style of generics, and define an unit with base classes
based on such patterns, without the fluff of other philosophies.