[fpc-devel] Win64 FPC is in wrong download location

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue May 4 21:45:40 CEST 2010

On 4 May 2010 17:27, Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:
>> fpGUI probably depends as well as the fp text mode ide on glibc etc. so
>> running on older systems is pure luck.
>
> This is correct. I did some tests for this when still running SuSE.
> Only binaries that do not depend on LibC will run on old linux distros.

Either way, I installed SuSE 9.0 on a spare hard drive. Copied over
fpGUI binaries created on Ubuntu 9.10 compiled today, or in the last
two months. They ran perfectly and without problems. And as a bonus,
Kylix 3 installed without a hitch (something that seldom occurs). :-)

Apps included in the test was some fpGUI demos (even one old fpGUI
v0.4 demo), the fpGUI UI Designer, DocView etc..

SuSE 9.0 is  about 7-8 years old. That's a lifetime for Linux,
considering how fast things change in Linux. The other point being
that it is a free OS, so nothing prevents users from continuously
upgrading as new distro versions are released - no need to be left
behind.  So Florian and Michael, I would safely say a new binary
created with FPC (non-gui or fpGUI based) would run perfectly fine on
rather old Linux distros.

I found my copy of SuSE 8.0, so will be trying that one next. I should
have SuSE 7.x somewhere as well.  ;-)  And for some proof and for your
viewing pleasure, visit the following url.

   http://opensoft.homeip.net/~graemeg/fpgui-on-suse-9.0.png

  - Graeme -