[fpc-devel] Win64 FPC is in wrong download location

Andrew Brunner andrew.t.brunner at gmail.com
Tue May 4 17:47:00 CEST 2010

> Speeding up compilation is always nice (and if anyone wants to dive into the unit loading logic, solve its existing problems and make it multi-threading safe, I'd be delighted -- I already spent several weeks on trying, and largely failing, to merely solve particular bugs in it), but I fail to see how that is in any way related to the current thread.

I had the same reaction when I went to install FPC on WinXP64.  I
didn't post b/c I already knew that there was no native FPC x64 for
Windows.  This thread was started with the notion that something
exists that does not :-)   Which is why I'm saying in order to make it
"feasible" to exist we are going to need to overcome the barriers that
make native x64 distro on Windows feasible.

The argument against Win64 native is due to the fact that 64bit
pointers are twice the size of 32bit pointers... With that
statement... Florain's assertion was native 64 would be larger and
slower to compile units.  Someone also suggested that a native Win64
would be a larger executable - which to me is not even a factor.

IMO: Native debugging under x64 would be the number 1 reason or
justification for doing the work.  The second would be for
distribution.  The third and most important would be for consistency.
Is it normal to have to cross compile to a platform you want to
develop  under daily?  Windows version of gdb offers better stability
than that of Xwindows (gdm keeps needing to be started for threaded
apps).

Anyways.. All of these arguments are worth the discussion as they do
in fact relate to why there is no Win64 folder :-)