[fpc-devel] Win64 FPC is in wrong download location

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue May 4 15:55:31 CEST 2010

Florian Klaempfl het geskryf:

> No. It actually proves that using 32 bit executables (and installer
> packages!) on 64 bit linux is a pain. On windows, we can cover with two
> installers Win2k (no idea about Win98) up to Win7 regardless if 32 or 64
> bit, on linux things are much more compilcated.

I thought we were talking about FPC performance, not deployment. But while
you are at it. What if Linux versions of FPC simply used .tar.gz package
instead of RPM or DEB?  I have tested my executables (GUI applications, not
FPC) generated on Ubuntu 8.04.2 with a old Slackware 9.0  [if I remember
correctly] (anyway the distro was quite a few years old), and my apps ran
perfectly.

It's just the stupid .RPM and .DEB packages that prevent installation, due
to other external dependencies (eg: pulling in MySQL or Firebird database
libraries etc). I'm pretty confident a binary FPC executable can run on
much older Linux distros. I anyway need to install Suse 8.0 for some old
Kylix 3 project, so I'll be able to test this theory again. :-)

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/