[fpc-devel] Win64 FPC is in wrong download location

Andrew Brunner andrew.t.brunner at gmail.com
Tue May 4 14:12:50 CEST 2010

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 6:40 AM, Florian Klaempfl <florian at freepascal.org> wrote:
>> @Florian
>> I believe you develop mostly under Windows. Maybe the FPC slowness should
>> be resolved before Delphi releases a 64-bit compiler?
>
> This cannot be resolved. A 64-Bit compiler has a bigger memory footprint
> because FPC uses a lot of pointers and pointers simply double in size on
> a 64 bit system.

Well, I exclusively use multi core AMD x64 cpus here.  I was surprised
to figure out all of this a few months ago and promptly removed Win64
back to Win32 on my laptop.  But I do use Ubuntu x64 everywhere else.

How is it possible that under *nix I'm able to live with the memory
performance of 64bit FPC but cannot with Windows?  I really think that
for scientific computing Linux would be better (since it's free).
However, for commercial grade service applications Win64 support for
FPC is essential.

I was going to raise these issues a while back when I learned of this.
 I just figured that someone needed an MS Windows XP x64 license...
Which I am willing to donate...