[fpc-devel] Win64 FPC is in wrong download location

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue May 4 10:46:29 CEST 2010

On Tue, 4 May 2010, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> On 4 May 2010 10:11, Florian Klaempfl <florian at freepascal.org> wrote:
>>
>> Because it has no advantage over a win32 executable (it is very unlikely
>> that the compiler needs more than 2 or 3 GB and a native win64 compiler
>> is slower due to bigger memoy footprint) and because it would require
>> additional release preparations.
>

> BTW:
> So why is there a native 64-bit Linux compiler?  Shouldn't the same as
> what you mentioned apply to the Linux platform too? [if not, then I
> guess it's proof that the Windows platform is crap and slow. ;-)]

Installing 32-bit apps on 64-bit linux is asking for problems,
and doubly so when you must develop. So a native binary is preferred.

Personally, I would simply recompile a 64-bit FPC for windows
if I had to do 64-bit development on windows. Cross-compiling
is OK for small mobile devices, but not for mature platforms and
daily development.

Michael.