[fpc-devel] Docs enhancement regarding major changes

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 14:05:45 CEST 2010

Hi,

Could a new section be added in the FPC documentation for major
changes in the language (and or compiler) that will affect users and
their source code. The Wiki already covers these changes in pages
like:

  http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/User_Changes_2.2.2
  http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/User_Changes_2.2.4
  http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/User_Changes_2.4.0
  http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/User_Changes_2.4.2

But I think it would be beneficial adding that content (as-is) in the
FPC docs as well. I'm not sure where is the best place for it though:
Language Reference or Users Guide?  What's your thoughts on this
suggestion, and if you agree, what FPC doc is appropriate for this
information.

eg:  TOC

  Major changes in...
     - About this section
     - v2.2.2
     - v2.2.4
     - v2.4.0
     - v2.4.2

PS #1:
In the off chance that this information is already covered in the PDF
documentation, would somebody be so kind as to point out where I can
find it.

PS #2:
Alternatively, if the consensus is to not add it to the existing docs,
then I don't mind creating my own INF help file (my preferred format)
with this information. In such a case could a download link be added
to the Documentation section of the FPC website?
At the time of FPC 2.4.2 release, I'll be creating a full set of INF
documentation for FPC's RTL, FCL and Language Reference - I'll also
provide a download link to DocView (the help viewer for INF files).
Again, not sure if you guys want to add this to the Documentation
section of the FPC website, of if I must simply host it on the fpGUI
website or fpGUI's SourceForge download page (with a link in the
wiki).

  - Graeme -