[fpc-devel] Linux thread priority mess (and possible implementation)

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Fri Jun 25 09:45:37 CEST 2010

On 06/24/2010 04:57 PM, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> or neglects the existence of realtime systems,

As I usually do embedded stuff, I had exactly this impression, too. If
realtime demands need to be considered, concurrent execution(i.e.
threads) not only serves the purpose of speeding things up, but
additionally are necessary to try to meed a timing restriction. So you
need to trade deterministic intermediate states vs deterministic timing.
Fine grained undeterminism, as preferred by the author above threads
does not help here.

Of course the problems he describes remain, in some projects doing
separate processes (i.e. not sharing memory) can help.

-Michael