[fpc-devel] Linux thread priority mess (and possible implementation)

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 15:05:57 CEST 2010

On 24 June 2010 13:44, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

> Thus priorities should only be considered as *hints* to the scheduler, with
> unpredictable consequences on arbitrary machines. When an application is

So is there a kernel default which applies to most popular Linux
distros? If there is, does that default allow some form of thread
priority?  For example, in tiOPF under Windows we set the Debug Logger
thread to low priority so as not to interfere much with the running
application. Logging is cached, so eventually the log output window
will catch up when the application is idle.

I would like to get the same behaviour under Linux. I'm using stock
standard Ubuntu 10.04 (most of our clients also use Ubuntu, but
versions may vary), so is there any hope in getting thread priority
working for our systems?

Another example of using threads in our application is checking for
global application statistics - again we require a thread of low
priority, because that feature is just a nice-to-have, and not
critical, so should not impair on the applications performance.

Also does multiple schedulers apply to other non-Linux platforms too?
eg: OSX, FreeBSD, NetBSD, Haiku, etc.  Because currently any unix-type
platform doesn't have Thread Priority support in FPC.

  - Graeme -