[fpc-devel] About ppudump program

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Wed Jun 23 13:08:30 CEST 2010

First of all: please mention in the future that you are not subscribed
(also in replies, because people may forget), so that people who reply
know that they should CC you.

On 22 Jun 2010, at 14:40, Doriano Blengino wrote:

> At this time I am trying to finish a good auto-completion, so I need
> to extract symbols from pre-compiled PPUs (especially the runtime
> standard libraries). Right now I use ppudump(1) to extract symbols,
> but I could switch in future to the use of ppu.pas. I noticed that
> different freepascal releases do not share a common PPU file format,
> so using ppu.pas inside the IDE would force the user to use the same
> compiler version as the one used to compile the IDE. On the other
> hand, I noticed that the release 2.4.x is the first one which
> reports "v100" for a PPU file, which hopefully indicates that future
> releases could be PPU-compatible...

The "version number" in PPU files is just an increasing byte. 100 is
not "1.00", it's "one hundred". It has no special meaning.

> Now, I would ask an advice: is it better to stick to ppudump, at a
> price of some reduction in speed, and the risk that its output could
> change in future, invalidating the IDE parsing routines?

You should use ppudump.

Jonas