[fpc-devel] Threading support and C library under Linux/Unix

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed Jun 23 13:00:58 CEST 2010

On 06/22/2010 03:35 PM, Henry Vermaak wrote:

> So maybe the fpc syscall interface needs to be updated.  Can you give
> any examples of what got reworked?
I don't suppose we already have NPTL and FUTEX, as same are used by
libc, anyway. If we want perfect performance and good (Posix-like)
behavior of the threaded applications, but no libc binding, NPTL and
FUTEX API calls need to be done instead of old-style clone() and
interprocess semaphores. Especially FUTEX  is tricky. (read "Futexes are
tricky" by U. Drepper: http://people.redhat.com/drepper/futex.pdf)

-Michael