[fpc-devel] Threading support and C library under Linux/Unix

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed Jun 23 12:44:29 CEST 2010

On 06/22/2010 05:18 PM, Florian Klaempfl wrote:
> At least according to Linus, the kernel api/syscall interface will never
> break.

Regarding Threads, as far as I understand, the thread aware APIs (e.g.
NPTL and FUTEX) have been added, while the other APIs were not affected.
(No wonder, as I understand that the "Linux Threads" were constructed on
top of the non-thread "process" APIs (e.g. fork and Inter-Process
Semaphores) by the pthread library.

When NPTL, FUTEX, etc appears in one arch, the pthread library is
modified to use it, without changing the the user "pthread....."
interface of libc.

Very nice for applications that use libc dynamically. So Kylix
applications automatically take advantage of NPTL and FUTEX, behaving
better and running faster.

But of course using libc does provide problems in certain issues....

-Michael