[fpc-devel] Potential merge conflict in r15401

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Thu Jun 10 14:17:30 CEST 2010

On 10 Jun 2010, at 14:03, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Op 2010-06-10 13:45, Vincent Snijders het geskryf:
>>
>> I think it would be better to revert it and apply the changes from
>> r14005, so that
>> it can be merged more easily.
>
> Can I simply change the 'lEquals' to 'aequals' in a new commit,

No, that will still conflict.

> or must one
> do some r14005 cherry-pick (I don't know the SVN equivalent)?

And I don't know what "cherry picking" is. r14005 has to be reverted,
and then the entire branch should be brought up-to-date by merging
everything from trunk. You can also merge single revisions (is that
what cherry picking means?), but eventually that branch has to be
merged back into trunk so it's better to keep it completely in sync.

> What is the coding standards in FPC?

In general: http://wiki.freepascal.org/Coding_style

As you'll notice, many things are not defined, such as identifier
naming. There are no fixed rules for those things, but it is
recommended to keep things similar as the surrounding code (e.g., not
introducing identifiers with camel case if the rest of the code uses
all lowercase).

> This is very unclear. I'm used to
> naming local variables as lMyVar (l prefix) and method parameters as
> AMyVar
> (A prefix), so using 'equals -> aequals' as a local variable name is
> strange to me.

There are no conventions in FPC for naming parameters or local
variables according to a particular pattern.

Jonas