[fpc-devel] fpc-architect list? [was: Slight calculation error in Bounds() procedure in Classes unit.]

Adem listmember at letterboxes.org
Wed Jun 9 22:57:29 CEST 2010

On 2010-06-09 23:38, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 09/06/2010, Florian Klaempfl  wrote:
>
>> Go ahead, we'll talk in 10 years and we'll see what you'll do if a
>>
> Just because FPC had radical changes between v1&  v2 and still doesn't
> know what it wants to be
[What I am about to raise is off-topic under the current subject line,
but not so, IMO, in the light of the above --so, please flame sparingly.]

For several years, I subscribed to Firebird-architect maillist. I didn't
have much to contribute other than asking the odd (dumb) question, but
it was very educational to me.

But, of course, the purpose of that maillist wasn't that --to educate
me--, there they discussed a lot of architectural stuff, usually way
above implementation details.

Jim Starkey's presence was extremely valuable as he was practically
there when world discovered RDBMSes; and, he would --more often than
not-- have tried quite a lot of the bright ideas suggested by other
members. He'd list what went right/wrong at the time he tried them and
what would it take to avoid pitfalls etc. Or, he would, in a few
paragraphs, explain theoretical things you'd spend a semeter to grasp.

So, what I am getting at is this: Is there such a list/platform where
only architectural/design issues (no commit details, no coding minutea
etc.) are discussed?

If there is, I'd like to subscribe to it as a read-only member [I won't
add noise, promise.]

If there's not one, I wonder if people here think it would be a good
idea to have one?

--
Cheers,
Adem