[fpc-devel] OO rewrite - first round finished

Florian Klämpfl florian at freepascal.org
Fri Jul 30 21:46:20 CEST 2010

Am 30.07.2010 20:55, schrieb Hans-Peter Diettrich:
> Florian Klaempfl schrieb:
>
>>> The first version of the OO rewrite branch is ready for alpha testing
>>> :-)
>
> Well, the alpha test revealed some problems, that have been fixed
> (except one).
>
> Now the differences between branch and updated trunk already result in
> problems[1], that make testing the OO compiler near impossible. This
> raises the question, how to proceed with the integration of both version?
>
> The longer we wait the more it will be improbable that both versions
> ever can be merged, by SVN/patch features. That's why IMO a quick
> decision is required, whether the refactored scanner/parser classes
> shall become part of the trunk, so that further refactoring (of classes
> and globals) can be tested on top of the new trunk.

Problem is: breaking trunk too often scares even more people to use
trunk. But we need people using trunk to get it tested as well as
possible so we must do our best to keep trunk also in a good shape, see
below.

> I'm willing to
> update the branch to a form, that is acceptable for integration - please
> specify what has to be done therefore.

I didn't have time to look at the last commits yet, so I cannot comment
on this in detail of the restructuring.

But requirements are always: no regressions for fpc itself, the test
suite and if possible lazarus.