[fpc-devel] Need advice for refactoring

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 01:41:44 CEST 2010

On 18 July 2010 22:35, Florian Klämpfl wrote:
> is: what happens if branch and trunk/another branch change the same
> line/tokens of code and then those branches are merged. A good vcs comes
> up with a conflict, a vcs trying to be too clever merges maybe both
> lines creating nonsense code or whatever.

Of course git will also raise a conflict it that case. My point is
that say you made a change in your branch, and in another branch that
exact same change was also made, if you merge the two branches, git
will resolve it without conflict because the code is identical in both
branches. SubVersion is a bit brain-dead in that regard and will still
raise a conflict - it apparently only looks at the line number, not
the content of that line.

This was told to me by Vincent and Jonas a little while back, where I
wanted to change the code in cpstrnew branch to match that of Trunk -
but without using svnmerge. Even though the code would end up being
identical, subversion raises a conflict. That sounds pretty stupid to
me. In the end Jonas had to revert my commit, and resync the cpstrnew
branch with Trunk - which now doesn't compile any more for me under
Linux.

  - Graeme -