[fpc-devel] Purpose of "uses ... in"?

Marcos Douglas md at delfire.net
Sat Jul 17 17:12:58 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 6:20 PM, Mattias Gaertner
<nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 09:26:24 -0300
> Marcos Douglas <md at delfire.net> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 6:35 PM, Stefan Kisdaroczi <kisda at hispeed.ch> wrote:
>> > I'm still using it. Or make a symlink:
>> > ln -s rar/zip.pas rar.pas
>> >
>> > In combination with {$L xzy.o} and 'external name ...' you can do
>> > wonderful things. Don't do this at home! (maybe at work :-)
>>
>> Okay... this is very sophisticated. I have not used it (yet) but this
>> is not so simple.
>> I still thinking my sugestion (in other mail, and copied below) is a good way:
>>
>> uses
>>  zip IN '/units/my/zip.pas' AS myzip;
>>  zip IN '/units/lib/zip/zip.pas' AS ziplib;
>
> What is the 'zip in' good for?

This is a sugestion of sintaxe, if you have 2 units with the same name...

>> 2 units, same name, different paths and different "aliases" to use in project.
>
> It means the compiler must rename all internal names of at least one of
> the units and must adapt all .o files that use that unit.
> What should the compiler do, if it finds a unit that "uses zip;"? Which
> one should it use?

In my example, a compiler error would happen because you would used
'uses myzip;' or 'uses ziplib;'
Again, this is a suggestion... I do not understand so much of
compilers. If this not possible, is Okay for me.

MD