[fpc-devel] Unit loading overhead

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Sat Jul 17 20:17:08 CEST 2010

On 17 Jul 2010, at 19:01, Micha Nelissen wrote:

> Jonas Maebe wrote:
>>> 256kB on 297MB isn't much; but if a program has typical memory use of e.g. 3MB it is significant ;-).
>> They could still change it in their application's startup code. We could also set a different default for the embedded rtl.
>
> I think applications using 300MB+ are the exception, not the rule;

All applications but the ones that allocate a only few memory blocks (especially in case it's a few small blocks of many different sizes) would benefit from this change, not just apps allocating hundreds of megabytes at the same time (it also helps in case applications maximally use 10MB, but allocate and free a lot of data so the blocks get released back to the OS). Applications allocating a ton of them would obviously benefit more than others.

Jonas