[fpc-devel] Need advice for refactoring

Alexander Klenin klenin at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 11:37:48 CEST 2010

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 20:12, Florian Klämpfl <florian at freepascal.org> wrote:

>>> For first results see the dodi/parser_rewrite branch.
>>
>> Generally speaking, long-lived feature branches should be avoided in SVN,
>> since the merging is incredibly painful.
>
> Why? As long as the patches textually apply, it's no problem.

Of course, this is the trivial case.

> But as soon as the changesets not longer apply the used vcs makes no difference.

Well, you should really try using modern VCS ;-)
Anyway, I do not want to restart VCS flame yet again,
so please let us forget other VCSes for now.

I just wanted to say that, in SVN, there is indeed a problem as soon as
conflicts start to accumulate, so (in my experience) the optimal way
is to avoid them
as much as possible by avoiding feature branches with a lifetime of
more than a few days.
So my advice would be that Hans should work on trunk.

--
Alexander S. Klenin