[fpc-devel] Messages overhead

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Thu Jul 15 03:35:14 CEST 2010

Daniƫl Mantione schrieb:

>> IMO compiler messages slow down compilation a lot.
>
> How do you know this, did you benchmark or is it just your opinion?

Common knowledge, proved by experience.

[...]
> Sounds reasonable to me, but wether it will speed up compilation is
> another question. Anyway, simply write a patch,

It's not a matter of an "simple" patch :-(

The message ID has to be re-encoded in a way, that allows to determine
e.g. the message level immediately. All this currently is done only
after text substitution, by inspection of the returned string.

> could be a nice
> excercise to get started with compiler development.

How is message encoding and composition related to compiler development?

DoDi