[fpc-devel] Compiler bottlenecks]

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Wed Jul 14 14:50:44 CEST 2010

Thaddy schrieb:
> Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
>>
>> Memory management can not normally be parallelized.
>>
> What's this then: http://topsoftwaresite.nl/ You are talking cows dung.
> It is actually in production at one of the largest stockbrokers in Europe.
> You should have written : "It is hard to do parallization"

My point is: when multiple threads try to acquire an new memory block at
the same time, and they happen to find the same gap, then only one of
these can win. The other threads must continue or - in the worst case -
restart their search for the next matching gap.

So IMO only a low *chance* for such concurrent tries can result in
*typically* better performance of such a memory management model. With
increasing memory fragmentation the collision chance increases as well.

DoDi