[fpc-devel] Purpose of "uses ... in"?

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Wed Jul 14 15:03:12 CEST 2010

Thaddy schrieb:

> Programmers are not very imaginative in naming. It is plainly helpfull
> to be able to rename a file if another file with a different content.....

Just in the FPC compiler case many unit names are hard coded, while the
files to use reside e.g. in a specific machine directory, selected in
the search path. When it becomes desireable to replace only one of these
files, as happened to me, then a solution could be to name that
replacement file differently from its contained unit name.

Then it would be helpful to allow for exchangable file names, at least
at project/program level. Only then one can be sure that a specific file
is used across the entire project, regardless of all other files in the
search path.

DoDi