[fpc-devel] Blackfin support

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Tue Jul 13 14:49:39 CEST 2010

Michael Schnell schrieb:

>> That's questionable, depending on the real bottlenecks in compiler
>> operation. I suspect that disk I/O is the narrowest bottleneck,

> I doubt this. The disk-cache does a decent work here. gcc can do this
> very effectively on a higher layer, as for each source file gcc is
> called separately by make. As FPC internally organizes the unit "make"
> sequence, I suppose internal multithreading needs to be implemented.

A C compiler has to access the very same header files over and over
again, so that a file cache can reduce disk I/O considerably. But when
FPC processes every source unit in a project only once, the file cache
is not very helpful.

Nontheless it may make sense to process the units in threads, so that an
already read unit can be processed while other threads still are waiting
for disk I/O. I only doubt that this will result in a noticeable overall
speed gain, when the results have to be written back to disk after
compilation. But we can know more only after according tests...

DoDi