Why not handle it in the editor ? [Re: [fpc-devel] fpdoc content syntax suggestion]

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 12:41:21 CEST 2010

On 9 July 2010 22:38, Martin <fpc at mfriebe.de> wrote:
> You can have an editor that displays and edits the content in any format you
> like and validates it at the same time. But it saves it in the current
> format after all.

The point is we don't have any fpdoc content editor that supports the
tags currently listed in the fpdoc documentation. I also more often
that not, edit the xml files directly, without any editor. Also not
everybody uses Lazarus which has the FPDoc Editor built-in (though
that editor also doesn't support rich text editing. I still have to
type the extremely verbose syntax (as my simple example showed).

Simplifying the syntax will reduce a lot of all these issues, plus
then anybody (even those not using Lazarus) can easily use fpdoc.

As I also mentioned, I have found situations where the current fpdoc
content syntax (tags) doesn't support what I want to do. This was due
to limitations of the <ul> and <ol> tags in fpdoc. I can't remember my
exact example, it was a while back. A simple "near plain text" syntax
should reduce such issues too.

  - Graeme -