[fpc-devel] fpdoc content syntax suggestion

Sergei Gorelkin sergei_gorelkin at mail.ru
Fri Jul 9 20:21:26 CEST 2010

Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> Obviously...
>
> And:
> Not using XML would require a major rewrite of fpdoc - it is deeply rooted
> in XML, as you'll find out - and I am not very keen on this. So hold your
> horses there, please...

I'd suggest the following:

1) XML stays :-)
2) The fpdoc is modified in a way that, after parsing the initial XML, every text node
within <short> or <descr> elements is additionally parsed with another parser.
3) The "another parser" does its job, placing its results into a DOM fragment.
4) The original text node is replaced with the resulting subtree.

5) Choose the new format so it does not use '<' and '&' extensively, because these will have to be
escaped.

This way, it will be possible to mix 'old' and 'new' syntax within a single document to any extent,
and we won't need to touch the backends at all.

Regards,
Sergei