[fpc-devel] Another bug with spaces in fpc (windows)

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Tue Jul 6 14:38:26 CEST 2010

In our previous episode, Paul Ishenin said:
> Sad but we found a new (really very old) bug with spaces:
>
> If you pass -o"some file with spaces.exe" or "-osome file with
> spaces.exe" fpc generates only a file with only "some" part.

Can you validate that the called binary really gets this parameter ?

D:\testing>fpc -o"test 1 2 3.exe" boundtest
Free Pascal Compiler version 2.5.1 [2010/07/03] for i386
Copyright (c) 1993-2009 by Florian Klaempfl
Target OS: Win32 for i386
Compiling boundtest.pp
Linking test 1 2 3.exe
14 lines compiled, 1.1 sec , 127808 bytes code, 26568 bytes data

D:\testing>dir "test 1 2 3.exe"
 Volume in drive D is DATA
 Volume Serial Number is D0C7-7322

 Directory of D:\testing

06-07-2010  14:35           157.960 test 1 2 3.exe
               1 File(s)        157.960 bytes
               0 Dir(s)  78.327.300.096 bytes free

D:\testing>

(2.4.0 reacts the same)

It looks to me more a problem with TProcess argument (related to e.g.
#14446)

> Why I write here. Well, lazarus team hope to have a version of fpc which
> can work with spaces and 2.4.2 is in the preparation steps. We already
> made some steps in this direction during the current lazarus and fpc
> releases. So maybe there is a chance (not too late) to fix this error too?

Then better start finding something really soon. This morning I generated
the source from rc1, so unless a fix it comes today or tomorrow, RC1 is
already gone.