[fpc-devel] Compiler bug?

Paul van Helden paul at planetgis.co.za
Sun Jan 31 10:32:29 CET 2010

On 2010/01/31 10:30 AM, Daniƫl Mantione wrote:

> This behaviour is intentional to allow you to read instead of just
> write the function result. The incompatibility just affects recursive
> procedures without parameters, which seldomly occurs, because normally
> the parameters determine the behaviour of the function, and a
> recursive function without parameters would prevent you writing a
> mechanism that makes the recursive function terminate.
>
> Only if the behaviour of the recursive function is controller by
> global variables, then you can actually write a recursive function
> without parameters. Because this is so seldom, and the desire to read
> from the function result is extremely common, there is a strong case
> for this behaviour.
OK, thanks. Also to Cobines for pointing out $mode delphi works as (I)
expected. I'm deliberately writing new units to compile with $mode
objfpc so I still have lots to learn. I do think a compiler hint would
be nice, either at the method declaration ("Hint: Overloaded function
without parameters may conflict with function result value.") or when
using the function name as the result in code ("Hint: Ambiguous use of
function name; use () if you wanted to call the overloaded function
instead"). Or perhaps I must get used to using() for functions without
parameters, and even better: give me another $mode where (like C++)
MethodName; is equivalent to @MethodName, so I'd be forced to use (). :-)

> Indeed Borland did invent "result" as a method to read from the
> function result, so FPC had to support that too.
I must say I prefer Result. It reads much easier, so I'd say it is more
to the spirit of Pascal than to have to use () to disambiguate things.
(So Borland /did/ actually invent some useful stuff....)

Being able to read the result is +1 Pascal, -1 C. If only I can have
"var I, J: Integer;"  anywhere between a begin and end and (inline)
method implementations inside class definitions... sigh :-)

And to regain my productivity: to figure out how to debug with Lazarus
the way I'm used to in Delphi...

Regards,

Paul.