[fpc-devel] Circular references and forward declarations

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Wed Jan 6 13:24:55 CET 2010

In our previous episode, Florian Klaempfl said:
> > memory, depending on the used compiler (and debug information or
> > optimization settings)
>
> For single class c++ files, imo most of the time is spent into reading
> the huge headers which are often even not needed and a complete mess
> because nobody has an overview which classes are used and which not.

And even if you forget that, there is the added compiler
startup/initialization/finalization per compilation for gcc.

Average larger files compile probably faster overall.

> > * every separate C/C++ file can be compiled in parallel with all others
>
> That's might be a point.

Only if you stuff it in one, and have no others to parallelize One big file
just goes as well parallel (with other big files and smaller files).

Moreover it assumes that the smaller files don't depend too much on
eachother. (since that would effectively serialize them again)