[fpc-devel] mlockall() unit libc

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Wed Jan 6 12:05:36 CET 2010

In our previous episode, Jonas Maebe said:
> > I saw some hints on the web that OS X doesn't support it (but it
> > should be
> > checked against 10.3/10.4+ since afaik those implement a lot more
> > calls due
> > to synchronization with FreeBSD5)
>
> $ gcc -o mlockall mlockall.c
>
> $ ./mlockall
> mlockall:1: Function not implemented
> munlockall:1: Function not implemented
> mlockall:2: Function not implemented
> mlockall:3: Function not implemented

Hmm, in that case I'll actually try to run this program on FreeBSD with root
tonight.

But, to summarize then chances for generic units are slim. The unportable
garbage "linux" unit is then the only solution, and then hope that cut down
linuxes don't cut it out.

> > Then solaris and Haiku as the other unices must be checked.
> Solaris at least has man pages for those functions. The test program
> fails there too, but that's probably simply because I'm not root (the
> man page says that root permissions are required).

If such a recent Darwin doesn't have it, then IMHO it is not an option now.