[fpc-devel] Questions about TEventLog

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 08:16:45 CET 2010

Hi,

I use logging a lot. It is my primary method of debugging FPC-based code.
99% of the time I use the logging features of tiOPF project. I have never
used TEventLog, but took a quick look last night after I read Joost's
message about Application.Log().

Here are some questions:

1) I see TEventLog can log to a file. In Linux's case a file to
'/tmp/*.log'. Does TEventLog implement cached logging? At first glance I
couldn't see anything in TEventLog that indicates that. If not, this will
slow down the application a lot.

2) Is TEventLog thread safe? Again, at first glance I couldn't see anthyngi
that indicates that it is. Thread safety is a critical feature for me.

If none of these are supported, that seriously limits the usefulness of
TEventLog in real-world applications. I double checked in the unit
documentation, and there is no mention about thread safety or cached
logging support. :-/

I don't have time at the moment, but can add it to my todo list to
implement such features. Not all my project will be based on tiOPF, so
having an alternative to help with my debugging will be well worth the
effort. :)  Of course somebody else can also take a look at tiOPF and
implement those features sooner. ;-)

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/