[fpc-devel] Ubuntu 9.10 x64 AMD Debugging multi-threaded system impossible

Andrew Brunner andrew.t.brunner at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 03:37:34 CET 2010

Is it just me who's having a problem with debugging threaded apps under Ubuntu?

I have a manager worker threaded networking engine I'm trying to
debug.  Windows 7 has no problems debugging the code.  Unfortunately,
my Linux setup will not permit me to trace into more then 1 line of
code.  Console reported GDB switched at the breakpoint.  But that's as
far as it gets.  GDM (Desktop Manager) freezes.  I have to
ctrl+alt+F(#) and restart the GDM to get back in.

At this point I'm only able to use Windows 7 to debug.  I'd really
love to stop depending on this Windows boot to test. Anyone solve this
problem or have any compiler options I need for Linux to get GDB to
not cause GDM to halt?

Please help ;-)