[fpc-devel] RTL and Unicode filenames operations.

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Mon Feb 1 09:01:15 CET 2010

In our previous episode, dmitry boyarintsev said:
> Any hints on these bugs?
> http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=15642 // patch proposed to
> workaround RTL limitation in LCL
>
> This is mostly concern of Windows OS. Moders Unix doesn't have the
> problem, usually having UTF8 as their's Ansi codepage.
>
> Would it be possible to fix the problem in RTL? by adding
> UnicodeString (WideString) version of file operation functions?

What would you do on Unix? Any solution must be platform-wide.

First the UnicodeString (which is not Widestring) should be finished, and
some global decisions how to implement unicode system wide should be taken.

> Ant other "simplier" way than switching compiler itself to Unicode or
> other special string type?

Temporarily have some helper functions in the LCL. FPC doesn't support
unicode for all operations atm, while Lazarus does.