[fpc-devel] RTTI unit

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 30 11:53:50 CEST 2010

Am 30.08.2010 11:23, schrieb Michael Van Canneyt:
>> It might be practical to extend Lazarus (and maybe the other IDEs as
>> well) to auto search for an extrafpc.cfg in the same dir as the
>> program file so that it is used automatically.
>
> That presupposes that the use of extrafpc.cfg is a common thing. It is
> not, this is something that Graeme uses.

But it's a format that is understood by the compiler and does not rely
on an "external" IDE. May be it should be made common instead of IDE
specific project files.

Don't get me wrong here: I am not against the usage of LPI files in the
FPC sources (because I'm using Lazarus), but Graeme raised a valid
point: not everyone uses Lazarus and thus we might think about using a
file format that can be used by more IDEs than just Lazarus. The config
file might be such a format, but it depends on the support by the
involved IDEs (FP IDE, Lazarus, MSEide).

>> Does identifier search/completion work in Lazarus if you use a
>> extrafpc.cfg to define search paths?
>>
>> Another possibility would be to extend fpcmake to generate different
>> IDE project files besides the Makefile as well.
>
> fpcmake will be phased out, it's a bad idea to extend it.

Right you are.

What about fppkg then? Would it be a feasible idea or a valid task to
let it create project files for different IDEs?

Regards,
Sven