[fpc-devel] threadvar implementation

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Fri Aug 6 00:31:20 CEST 2010

On 05 Aug 2010, at 21:36, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

> Michael Schnell schrieb:
>
>>> FS/GS for non-zerobased segments, all others are zero-based.
>> I have no idea what you mean by "zerobased".
>
> Then you missed fundamental 32/64 bit hardware and software principles :-(
>
> Please read and understand the available documentation, my preceding posts, and ask further questions by PM.

Such a deriding tone is completely uncalled for (and moreover you yourself are constantly asking very basic questions about "make" and debugging the compiler on this same list, which makes it doubly inappropriate to start publicly chastising other people simply because they're not familiar with one term you used).

This thread has also strayed way off topic with lots of back and forth emails about details of the x86 instruction set. In the end, a summary about how everything applies to a realistic threadvar implementation for FPC could be useful (but keep in mind that the only reason that intialising/finalising threads not started via the FPC rtl now works under Unix is exactly because every threadvar access requires a call into a helper routine).

However, most of what's currently under discussion has been said several times already in multiple ways and what's left seems to be mostly miscommunications and clarifications.

This thread is now moderated on this list.

Jonas
FPC mailing lists admin