[fpc-devel] UTF-8 patch for the video unit

Nikolay Nikolov nickysn at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Sep 25 18:22:27 CEST 2009

On 09/19/2009 05:16 PM, Olivier Coursiere wrote:
> Nice ! What used to be a hack for the limited BeOS terminal now become
> a "feature".
Well, initially I was just trying to fix the "feature" that switched the
linux console out of UTF-8 mode, which caused most non-ascii characters
to look wrong (if your locale uses UTF-8 encoding, which most modern
linux distros use) after you've run the IDE and then exited it. So I
tried to figure out how to detect whether the console was in UTF-8 mode,
so that it can be restored on exit, but found out there's no other way,
besides looking at the LANG environment variable. So, while figuring
this out, I saw that beos used utf-8 output, so I decided to try to
adapt this feature to linux and other unices and see how it looks. So no
switching in/out of utf-8 mode, no switching between normal and
"graphical" character sets, no redefining the low 32 "special" ascii
characters, no modes of any kind, etc... And it turned out perfect,
especially on graphical terminals (xterm, gnome-terminal, konsole). :)
> I will probably tune the new TerminalSupportsHighIntensityColors and
> TerminalSupportsBold variable later this weekend to achieve the best
> results under BeOS and Haiku.
Yep, I intentionally made it flexible, so it can be tuned for different
terminals.